So far the show has been much better than expected. There were some worries that the show is going downhill, and while it is definitely smaller I found everything I wanted and more. It is especially still a fun place to walk around if you love books. There are hundreds of authors throughout the event. I met China Mieville at his signing and got his autograph on The City & The City. He was much friendlier than I expected given his serious look in his photos and tone when I've heard him interviewed. I also managed to get Neil Gaiman's autograph on The Graveyard Book and my first edition hardcover of American Gods. Here he is signing my copy of The Graveyard Book: I left with the biggest grin. I've grabbed a few good galleys and spoke to some of the publishers such as Orbit and Overlook. The Orbit people were especially friendly and they're definitely reading the bloggers. Tomorrow there is a talk with China Mieville and John Ringo I hope to attend. Well here is the swag I picked up:
- Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie (Orbit) This is the one I was most excited about grabbing. I don't think they were actually giving them out but Alex from Orbit was very kind.
- [Signed] Soulless by Gail Carriger (Orbit) Gotta love Zombies in a Victorian steampunk setting.
- Mr. Shivers by Robert Jackson Bennett (Orbit)
- The Cry of the Sloth by Sam Savage (Coffee House) I read Savages' Firmin a few months ago a love the heartbreaking story of a rat who is born smart and lives in a bookstore.
- [Signed] The City & The City by China Mieville (Del Rey)
- This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (Duton) Because it looks interesting.
- New World Monkeys by Nancy Mauro (Crown) Who couldn't love a title like this?
- [Signed] An Edible History of Humanity by Tom Standage (Walker) I loved the author's A History of the World in 6 Glasses so this should be a good treat.
- The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Viking) I was underwhelmed by Grossman's first book Codex, but the premise sounded interesting enough to give it a shot.
Please feel free to post your jealousy over my grand swag. I don't expect to pick up as much tomorrow, but there were rumors of the new Hitchhikers Guide being given out.